Litigation Support/Dispute Resolution Services
Litigation Support/Dispute Resolution Services
With decades of lodging industry experience and expertise, the principals of R.M. Woodworth & Associates are well-equipped to provide consulting and testifying expert services in litigation and alternative dispute resolution matters. We possess the knowledge, skill, experience, training, and education relevant to a litany of issues involving the business and ownership of hotel real estate.
In addition to our professional and academic credentials, we possess well-honed skills as consulting and testifying experts. Our industry specialists are called on to serve as expert witnesses in litigation where we apply our skills, experience, training, and academic expertise to situations such as property valuation, assessment of lost profits, and contract disputes.
Representative List of Expert Witness Assignments:
- Bankruptcy – United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky – Covington, Kentucky. Draw Bridge Inn Matter. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for the secured lender.
- Liquidated Damages – Sholodge v. McKibbon Brothers. Case involved the early termination of a franchise agreement and the resulting claim for liquidated damages. Staley served as a testifying expert for McKibbon Brothers.
- Lost Profits – Premier Resorts v. Barefoot Resorts. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for the plaintiff, Premier Resorts.
- Bankruptcy – United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. G.E. Credit v. Promus Hotels re: Embassy Suites Times Square. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for the secured lender.
- Lost Profits – ADCO Group, et al. v. The Travelers Indemnity Company, et. al. Case related to a claim for lost profits resulting from Hurricane Katrina damage to a hotel. Staley served as a testifying expert for Travelers.
- Lost Profits – Z1SP-1, LLC, ZZZ-1, LLC, Z2SP, LLC, ZZZ-2, LLC, and 78 Corporate 7, Inc. v. Sitel Operating Corporation, Alyson Court Apartments, LLP and City of Las Cruces. Case related to a lost profits claim resulting from the development of an incompatible use adjacent to the plaintiffs’ hotels. Staley served as a testifying expert for the plaintiffs.
- Franchise Dispute – Crowne Sterling Suites v. FFMC Financial Corp. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for the plaintiff.
- Lost Profits – Aanya Hospitality, Inc. v. Tetra Tech, Inc. Case related to lost profits resulting from construction delays and the plaintiff’s loss of future development rights. Staley served as a testifying expert for Aanya Hospitality, Inc.
- Lost Profits – FelCor Lodging Trust v. the City of Atlanta and the City of College Park, Georgia. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for FelCor for the purposes of the calculation of damages related to the closing of the publicly-owned convention center connected to the Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel.
- Lost Profits – Water Street Investors Limited, et al. v. City of Jacksonville, et al. Matter involved opining on the value and subsequent lost profits associated with a proposed hotel development. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for the defendant.
- Lost Profits – Fort Worth Hotel Limited Partnership, d/b/a Fort Worth Hilton and Metro Hotels, Inc. v. Enserch Corporation d/b/a Lone Star Gas Company. Case involved a claim for lost profits related to business interruption resulting from a natural gas explosion. Staley served as a testifying expert for Lone Star Gas Company.
- Syndication Dispute – Whitey Ford, et al. v. Host Marriott Corporation, et al. Dispute related to a syndication of the leasehold interests in over 50 Courtyard by Marriott hotels. Staley served as a testifying expert for Host Marriott.
- Valuation – New Orleans Exhibition Authority v. Dr. Steven Lesser. The case required valuation of a parcel being acquired through condemnation for the expansion of New Orleans’ convention center. Staley served as a testifying expert for the New Orleans Exhibition Authority.
- Arbitration Matter – Orient-Express Hotels Limited, Claimant and Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A t/a Generali Global Risk, Respondent. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for Assicurazioni Generali in an insurance claim for lost profits.
- Contract Dispute – Trump Doral v. Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa. Woodworth served as a testifying expert for Trump Doral.
- Valuation – The Hammocks, LLC d/b/a Richmond Hill Inn v. Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company (Bankruptcy Proceeding #09-10332). Case required the valuation of a hotel that was destroyed by a fire that may have resulted from arson. Staley served as a testifying expert for Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company.
- Tax Appeal – UCF Hotel Venture, etc. v. Bill Donegan, as Property Appraiser, et al. Staley served as a testifying expert for the Orange County FL Property Appraiser’s office relative to an appeal of the tax assessment of three hotels within Universal Studios Florida.